Thursday, October 2, 2014

Upcycling your Thrifted Finds

For the past month I have spent time Thrifting for room décor and furniture for my "She Space" which will serve as my office and film room for my YouTube channels. I just wanted to fix up the spare room in my house, where my creative juices could flow.  I feel like a room can set a mood you know. So with that being said I found an old desk at my local Goodwill, and decided to up cycle it to use as my new vanity.


The desk was mostly scuffed and scratched, but still in great condition. I was really happy that I found it. I purchased it for $39.99.  It did not fit in my small car, but a thoughtful stranger saw me and the Goodwill associate struggling to cram it in my car and offered to stow it in her SUV, and drive it to my house. That was so nice.  You don't see that kind of gesture on the regular. After driving right around the corner it was home. I was so excited to get started.

My husband helped me work on it. First we wiped down the desk to remove the dust and dirt. Than we used an electric hand sander to sand it down. You can purchase the sander machine at Wlamart, Home Depot, or Lowes.

Next we primed with a white primer.

 
Once priming was done, I started working on the drawers.  I wanted the drawers to have a pop of color so I choice Cotton Candy Pink paint.  I painted the entire drawer except the front face.  I also used a stencil to distinguish each set of drawers.
 



Next I painted the desk with a white satin finish paint.



Overall this upcycling process was a great experience.  I am elated with the result and ready to add my makeup and mirror to complete my vanity. 

 
You can find some really unique pieces and make them your own. Goodwill and Garage Sales are a great place to find these unique statement pieces and décor for your room.

No comments:

Post a Comment